The Hohensalzburg Fortress is enthroned on the Mönchsberg. Its construction was begun in 1077. Today it is one of the largest existing castles in Europe. Prince Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach had the fortress converted into a noble seat of government at the end of the 15th century. The magnificent princely rooms with Gothic carvings and ornamental paintings still bear witness to this today. The “Salzburg Bull”, an organ in the Krautturm that roars daily at 7 am, 11 am and 6 pm and can be heard as far as the old town, also dates from that time. Today, the fortress is a fixed point for visitors all year round.
Festung Hohensalzburg Mönchsberg 34, Mai-Sep 9-19 Uhr, ab Okt. 9.30-17 Uhr, Festungscard 15,50€, online 11,50€, www.salzburg-burgen.at